Friday, February 17, 2012

Oh, For Grace To Trust Him More!

'Tis SO SWEET to trust in Jesus.  ...This will always be true, no matter what. 

I've been struggling with some things for a very long time now.  Troubles don't go away overnight, y'know.  But then again, neither does my almighty Father!  Yesterday was a struggle, but my Father finally convinced me to pray.  So, in desperation I (literally) cried out to him for help.. repeatedly.  I couldn't find the words to pray.  Instead, I chose to play a mental picture reel of my struggles and each time ask.. well, beg.. Him to help me, knowing full well that only He could.

How I've proved him o'er and o'er!

Now, this example may not be exactly what the author of this lovely hymn had in mind when it was penned, but it came to mind last night and today as I saw my Father prove himself faithful to me through my husband and other circumstances.  My Father is faithful.  He is mighty.  He is compassionate.  He is all I know of him and more.  Sometimes I just fog up my field of vision so skillfully with doubt, worry, and fear that I temporarily can't recall His character, much less know beyond a doubt that I can TRUST it.  But He never lets me forget for too long.  And how I love Him for it!

Oh, for grace to trust him more!

You might be wondering, "Do her struggles compare to mine in any way?"  To which I would reply gently, "Does it matter?"  Don't look for comfort here in the thought that we may have common ground in our heartaches.  Join me instead in knowing and trusting, that our Father is the same for you as He is for me.  Same promises.  Same character.  Same love.  Same compassion.  Same FAITHFULNESS!  Join me in stepping out in faith and trusting Him with your immediate load.  Join me in praying He would grant us an ever-increasing faith, as well.  Because, as I'm sure we've already agreed, troubles don't go away overnight.  Thankfully, neither does our Father!

I'm so glad I learned to trust him .. Precious Jesus.  Saviour.  Friend.

Just in case you're not familiar with this beautiful song ...

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take him at his Word;
Just to rest upon his promise,
And to know, "Thus saith the Lord."


Refrain:
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust him!
How I've proved him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust him more!


Oh how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust his cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
'Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, 'tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease; 

Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.


I'm so glad I learned to trust thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.


'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
Copyright: Public Domain
Main subject: Trust
Scripture: Proverbs 30:5
William J. Kirkpatrick, 1882
Source:  http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Tis_So_Sweet_to_Trust_in_Jesus/



No comments:

Post a Comment